DFN Happy Hour No. 19: September Projects, Part II
Coming up Friday at 5:30 pm PDT members Barb Noren (BarbMakesThings), Tod Kurt (todbot) and Carlyn Maw (carlynorama) stream again! Last week we gave our first crack at our September Projects (post | video) and this week we… well… we try to keep breathing!
Last Week Redux
- Carlyn: Galia Melon & Passion Fruit Vodka… Daiquiri?
- Barb: Lagunita’s Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale
- Tod: Bogle Old Vine Essential Red 2017
- Barb: tabletopaudio.com
- Tod: KNOBS https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knobs-1/ “knob paradise”
This Week Preview
It’s been quite a week, with travel and helping my folks and whatnot, so I didn’t get all of the mechanisms modeled for my mechanized word, but I did get as far as curio, which is better in some ways; now i have a motorized curio. Half of me wants to skip curiosity and just stop here. 🙂
So far there’s a scissor mechanism, a mangle rack and pinion, a bell crank, and the starts of a piston and a pulley. I’d love to be able to drive these all with a single motor, but i’m not sure that’s going to happen in the time I have available, so for now I’m just trying to get the movement happening. There will surely be more challenges once I try to get the thing out of the computer and into the real world.
( Tod submits for our viewing pleasure the Edinburgh Samoyed Rescue twitter feed. )
I wasn’t able to do too much work on my TouringMachine synth module, But one of the benefits of having a easily-generated CAD model of a PCB with components, is it becomes possible to test possible interference and clearance of connectors and cables. In this case I was worried the Eurorack power cable (2×5 IDC connector) might interfere with the micro-USB plugged into the ItsyBitsy M4. So far looks good. So I sent the board to fab and should have some to play with next week.
I played both with playing system sounds and loading audio files. The first two mostly stand alone as their own thought while the remaining 5 really build up to the last one.
- Day 05 – Plays the “Suspense” system sound.
- Day 06 – Plays the “Call of the Wild” system sound on repeat until “stop” is pressed
- Day 07 – Loads an audio file (MP3 or M4A confirmed) and plays it until finished or until stop is pressed
- Day 08 – Play button is a “Play / Stop” button, but the UI is disconnected from a real “source of truth”
- Day 09 – Play/Stop button gets a new look, Source of Truth from the songHandler and data from song file
- Day 10 – The current song can be swapped, the play pause button plays the current song selected, switching songs during playback starts the new song immediately.
- Day 11 – Songs can be selected and then played. Switching songs stops the playback. Play button must be pressed again. Unselected song’s play button is disabled until selected.
One thought on “DFN Happy Hour No. 19: September Projects, Part II”
Pingback: DFN Happy Hour No. 20: September Projects Part III : CRASH Space