These are some of the rules we get the most questions about.
1. Be Awesome. For details, see the more explicit code of conduct.
2. CRASH Space does not condone any illegal activities. Getting caught breaking the law in the space, using the space’s equipment, or with something you built in the space means you’re out.
3. Equipment use at CRASH Space is absolutely 100% for members only. Some equipment at CRASH Space is dangerous, members are expected know the risks involved with using such equipment and agree not to use anything they haven’t been properly trained to use. Additionally use of all such equipment is at the members own risk and they agree not to hold CRASH Space or any other members, instructors, directors or officers liable for injury or damage caused by using such equipment.
4. Some equipment at CRASH Space is expensive. In many cases the equipment that is expensive is also fragile. Members know this and will make every effort to ensure that equipment is not damaged, and will be left in the same or better condition when the member is done. Members also understand that if they break something they may be responsible for the cost of replacement or repair.
5. CRASH Space exists because of the monthly membership dues paid by each member. Membership dues have to be paid in full. On time. Every month. To ensure this, members who are paying month to month will be required to set up a recurring payment via paypal during the membership sign-up process.
6. CRASH Space membership is not an alternative to housing. We’re not registered to operate as a residential/hotel/lodging business so members (or anyone else) simply CANNOT live here. Late night hacktivity into the early morning hours is generally permissible, but using the space just for sleeping overnight is not. If you are (or know of) a member who may need housing resources, please contact the city of LA for more comprehensive help and resources.
7. Membership access to the space applies to the member only! Any member who gives their key to someone who isn’t a member, or leaves a guest unattended in the space may have their membership terminated immediately.
8. Members understand that discussion takes place on the mailing list and decisions are made at meetings. CRASH Space is a membership corporation, i.e. owned by its members. We rely on the participation of the members for ideas, but more importantly to help get things done. Members are expected and encouraged to participate.
9. Members agree to abide by these and any other guidelines decided by the membership. We try to be a respectful group of grown ups because every rule means more administrative overhead for our active volunteers. Please avoid the phrase “Someone should,” because that someone is probably YOU!