Tuesday Sweep: 08 May 2018
Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
So I don’t know about y’all but I found those great giant bullet pointed walls of texts I started posting last month actually kind of demotivating. They just put every tiny little thing in great detail on the surface. I’d like to get the checklist back into that magic 7±2 range. To that end I’ve been spending some quality time with Jekyll this week reorganizing. The lists have become tighter with “more” links for folks starting out or who need reminders. Hope this feels like an improvement!
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running.
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s).
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle.
- Put any straggling passwords/secure info into password manager, Spend some time updating flagged passwords.
- What neglected inbox will you check today?
This Week’s Focus:
Zone 2 is “identity,” how to increase the chances they you’re you and they’re them. One key step, using a password manager, is included in the weekly basics above.
- Enable Two Factor Authorization somewhere new, and/or ask for it from a vendor that doesn’t offer it. (more)
- Log in to financial accounts to check the transaction history. (more)
- Check for new breaches & scams. (more)
- Any paper to shred? (more)
- Continue to use unique, fake answers to “secret questions” for password resets. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news?
- Change your twitter password
- Some thoughtful encouragement to make your project open source
- How your web browser affects your online reality, explained in one image
- Backdoors continue to be bad, no matter what people say.
- ThinkPads are awesome, update yours!
- When countries block millions of websites to prevent secure communications, it’s troubling, don’t ya think? And when major corps help them do it…? Yikes.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something this week? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
Thank you Emily, for introducing me to the LIVE kitten channel.