Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Once again skimming the late release on the Tuesday Sweep. For me that’s because I got sidelined by the combination of this week’s zone “Leave It Better” and the weekly task of a neglected inbox.
I have HTTPs Everywhere installed, set to block all non-HTTPs connections. It’s brutal. I couldn’t actually load my own (very neglected) websites! Today I fixed that. Thank you Let’s Encrypt! (Donate if you use ’em, if you can.)
As I was poking around my hosting service’s settings for setting up SSL, I realized that I had an old email address still active that I hadn’t checked in 5+ years. Yikes. I hate email. So I’ve been slowly cleaning that out one slow webmail screen of 100 messages at a time. It feels good, though, to purge the trash. It’s so easy to make digital waste disappear, but it’s making me think of all the trash in the real world. That’s historically been a real health problem, but we’ve banded together through government and created municipal waste services, even if the solutions aren’t ideal. If you’ve never run a business and had to pay for private trash collection, it’s hard to overstate what a value public trash collection represents. On a daily behavior front, the anti-litter campaigns of the 70’s and ’80s have done their work on me and I have a visceral negative reaction to the idea of becoming a litterbug. Public campaigns can work (PDF). It can take as little as 25% of a population to buy in to make lasting change in a culture. We can be that change in online culture. It’s worth it.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you spend 10 minutes checking today? (more)
This Week’s Focus:
Zone 04: Leave It Better
- Survey your domain. Patch ‘em up or shut ‘em down. Better off than a bot. (more)
- Spend some time today learning your industry’s best practices. (more)
- If you found a security problem in one of your projects, tell people. Don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how they get fixed that matter. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw in someone else’s project, speak up safely. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw speak up KINDLY and with attention to detail. Community, it can be the best thing and the worst thing. Which one it is, is up to us. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update! This sections gonna be slapdash because the Zone 03 reorg took some time
- If you’re in District 53, Miguel Santiago just hamstrung the CA Net Neutrality Bill. Just saying. Maybe you should give him a call.
- Also this week in CA: “California Has 48 Hours to Pass This Privacy Bill or Else“
- You can legally ignore Warranty Void If Removed stickers it seems. That’s cool. Bummed that wasn’t legal precedent for digital poking around, too.
- Protest without strategy is performance.
- So MAYBE email will start being safer? EFF announces another new tool, this time for mailadmins. Check out the announcement for STARTTLS
- I love this: “Senator to FCC: How much do police stingrays drain a cell phone battery?“
- Please keeping poking around for your own news to check this week! I’ve got still more emails to delete. LOL.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
I couldn’t pick just one. These pretty much all come from Tod. Except the Hamster Bed. That one’s from me.