Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to go to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- The coach tool at the Crash Override Network has a great step by step break down that makes it really easy to start.
- If that site doesn’t fit your needs or you want more, that’s okay, there are more recommendations under Start Here on the repo.
- Feeling more ambitious? Review the list of OneThing articles and pick one to catch up on.
The basics slightly revised and with a printable checklist.
- Updated software recently? Pick a new device to check on today.
- Backups still up and running? When was the last time you made a clean disk image? Here’s a new great article on how to design a backup system.
- App, Password Gardening: Delete a low quality app from your phone or delete an account that you don’t need that doesn’t make you happy. Digital cruft builds up. Delete it. If you’re keeping it, can you move the password to your password manager (delete it from everywhere else) and add two factor authentication?
- Stored WiFi networks can be used to profile your computer and find out places you’ve been. Weed them out.
- Move to offline archive & delete your histories where you can find them.
- Double check privacy settings on your phone, social media accounts. The folks running the companies can change the TOS and add “features” before you notice them.
Where do you scan for news?
- Blah blah blah… Tonight – IoT and Victorian manners talk… Hackaday January Meetup in Pasadena
- Ian Bogost mediates metaphysics of followers on Twitter in response to the news that some popular folks bought theirs.
- So… wanna find some military bases in health-tracker data? Guess not everyone sat through the presentation.
- The F-Droid App store might be a better choice to find Android apps.
- Call your Cal Sate Senator especially if he’s Sen. Kevin de León of LA. Say THANK YOU… for supporting Net Neutrality. Then call you assembly person and them you support SB-460 and want them to pass it to.
- Internet Insecurity Ain’t Cheap.
- Pro Tip: File your taxes early.
- Nifty breakthrough: Hiding grayscale images in laser beams. via Reddit
- PATCH NOW:
Feeling dumb or stupid about how not-l33t you are? Angsting over some silly thing you “know better than to do.” Stop. That isn’t useful. Regret is only of use if it prompts an actual change in behavior. Maybe it’s NOT you that sucks. Could be it’s the technology and you could come up with a fix that would help lots of people. Look forward and make a plan.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Show up at CRASH Space tonight!