Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 4 this week. “Leave it Better,” focusing on making sure your own projects are in order. On that note, now’s the time to mention that this will be the last Tuesday Sweep post of the year! All the websites will start posting their 2018 retrospectives soon, and it’s time to take stock about what has worked and what hasn’t in these sweeps. Maybe 2019 will have an actual editorial schedule? Wouldn’t that be a hoot.
Don’t know what you’ll do during the break? Why not Automate the boring stuff with Python?
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Wipe down your main devices, physically! (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus: Leave it Better
- Survey your domain. Patch ‘em up or shut ‘em down. Better off than a bot. (more)
- Spend some time today learning your industry’s best practices. (more)
- If you found a security problem in one of your projects, tell people. Don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how they get fixed that matter. (more)
- Maintain and clearly communicate healthy boundaries. Don’t allow poison at your pot luck. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw in someone else’s project, speak up safely. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw speak up KINDLY and with attention to detail. Community, it can be the best thing and the worst thing. Which one it is, is up to us. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- People Who Buy Smart Speakers Have Given Up on Privacy, Researchers Find. Don’t let that be you. Don’t give up.
- Lawmakers going after robo-shoppers that scoop up then scalp cyber-moday deals. They’re calling them Grinch Bots
- If your for-profit company uses Open Source projects, dedicate time and or money to those projects. This weeks object lesson: Copay and the event-stream node model
- Listen to music through your skin without the drugs!
- Ion drives! Planes with no moving parts are REAL!!
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
In honor of the successful landing of the safe arrival on Mars of NASA’s InSight Lander