Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 02, “identity,” how to increase the chances they you’re you and they’re them when interacting with people online.
I know I’m behind on sweep stuff, focusing on other things the last couple of weeks. BTW, Good Work. Progress feels nice. So let’s jump in.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Wipe down your main devices, physically! (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus:
Zone 02: Identity
- Enable Two Factor Authorization somewhere new, and/or ask for it from a vendor that doesn’t offer it. (more)
- Log in to financial accounts to check the transaction history. (more)
- Check for new breaches & scams. (more)
- Any paper to shred? (more)
- Continue to use unique, fake answers to “secret questions” for password resets. (more)
- Do a little self-stalking (more)
- A reminder to independently verify phone numbers, links and other contact information provided to you. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news? Some of these links are a bit older because the last two weeks were all about the election.
- Even Ars Technica is talking about our wildfires.
- Check out videos of what you missed at the Hackaday Superconference 2018
- Have a Free Flickr account? Your images will be deleted soon. Download your Flickr Data.
- The Privacy Battle to Save Google From Itself
- Some “Encrypted SSD Hardrives” aren’t really, and can even do an end run around Windows’ BitLocker.
- It should be safe to update Windows now, but the bugs give an insight into Microsoft’s Update process.
- I LOVE the USPS. It’s fun to kick it, but they really do an amazing job. That said, just please wait for your mail to arrive to know what’s in it. At least for a little while longer.
- The Chalubo BotNet, the BotNet with the funnest name to say. Excellent write up.
- I’m keeping my eye on IncludeOS, perhaps a better answer than embedded linux for IoT
- Learn about infrastructure: Strange snafu misroutes domestic US Internet traffic through China Telecom
- Oh goodness Google is making. reCAPTCHA’s based on websites norms. I mean maybe yay? I mean maybe kinda creepier? Maybe they’ll be using the data from Project Fi’s VPN
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.