Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 02, “identity,” how to increase the chances they you’re you and they’re them when interacting with people online.
Sadly, part of my identity is migraine sufferer. I had one last week. Go figure. I’ve learned that when ever possible, it’s better not to go back and try go back and do missed tasks. If I try to back fill, that just leaves me constantly feeling behind. I try to focus on todays priorities today and get as far as I can. So I didn’t do the Tuesday Sweep on Wednesday last week. I just dropped it, knowing I could pick it up today. It’s like being a musician in an band, when you loose your place it’s not about “catching up” but simply a matter of rejoining the song at the current bar without making a big fuss about it.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Wipe down your main devices, physically! (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus:
Zone 02: Identity
- Enable Two Factor Authorization somewhere new, and/or ask for it from a vendor that doesn’t offer it. (more)
- Log in to financial accounts to check the transaction history. (more)
- Check for new breaches & scams. (more)
- Any paper to shred? (more)
- Continue to use unique, fake answers to “secret questions” for password resets. (more)
- Do a little self-stalking (more)
- A reminder to independently verify phone numbers, links and other contact information provided to you. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- We are less than 30 days from the next next election. What are you doing to be involved? Consider becoming a Poll Worker.
- Despite evidence to the contrary, things can go right. People can work together to do good thing, whether it be bringing down drug prices or shooting a scene.
- Naming and shaming web polluters, but at least in CA no more default passwords!!
- No matter who you believe in the Bloomberg vs Tech Companies about the server exploits, securing your supply chain is important and hard.
- Git has a patch
- A big tech company is working to free the internet from big tech companies
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.