Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 4 this week. “Leave it Better,” focusing on making sure your own projects are in order.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Wipe down your main devices, physically! (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus: Leave it Better
- Survey your domain. Patch ‘em up or shut ‘em down. Better off than a bot. (more)
- Spend some time today learning your industry’s best practices. (more)
- If you found a security problem in one of your projects, tell people. Don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how they get fixed that matter. (more)
- Maintain and clearly communicate healthy boundaries. Don’t allow poison at your pot luck. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw in someone else’s project, speak up safely. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw speak up KINDLY and with attention to detail. Community, it can be the best thing and the worst thing. Which one it is, is up to us. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- There were some great links related to “leave it better” in last week’s News and Updates section.
- Run your own email server at home
- Two projects that bend information semantics just that little bit to be pure poetry, a 3D printed “digital display” sundial and a Arduino that sings its RAM
- If you use FreeRTOS, patch it!!
- A little bit older, but I’ve been keeping in in my Tab for today – a nice little UX lesson from Fortnite
- A reminder that State Governments really matter and to support get out the vote actions during midterms! Help people get VoterIDs where necessary, and rides to the polls! Even Uber and Lyft are in on the action. Can you vote by mail? Have you filled out your ballot?
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
When the the big things get to me, I like to think about how beautiful the small stuff is. Like the REALLY small stuff. Check out some of this year’s best microscopy images.