Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
And we roll around to the beginning again, Zone 1, “Connectivity,” focusing on how we get on to the internet in the first place. Some of these tips will make more sense if you have a better sense of how the internet works.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Put any straggling passwords/secure info into password manager, Spend some time updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus: Connectivity
- Any new ISP choices available to you? Hassled your elected officials lately about that? (more)
- If you’ve rolled your own VPN, update it. (more)
- Reboot your router. (more)
- Double check firewall settings (more)
- Update antivirus software (more)
- Make sure HTTPs everywhere is fully enabled. (more)
- Spend a little time learning how the internet works. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- Alright, can I just say, Apple turning Safari into a more private browser makes me smile. I wonder if it will start making “secure browser” lists?
- Data de-anonymization example on Wired, via boingboing
- Turning text into almost invisible QR codes (Hackaday)
- Follow up on the learning about the internet with this article about Dr. Perlman and Spanning Tree Protocols (Hackaday)
- Is your company’s Google Group leaking data? How check the settings. (Orig post by Kenna)
- Cross-site scripting still the most common attack in report on 2017 by Positive Technologies via DarkReading
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
So I was going to post about the multi-hour long box fan videos on YouTube and on Amazon (Affiliate link | Non-affiliate link) but then Laughing Squid posted about BBC Earth posting a 10 hour video of underseas footage (it’s admittedly a loop) from Blue Planet II… and well… burbling bubbles and stingrays for the win.