Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus:
Zone 2 is “identity,” how to increase the chances they you’re you and they’re them. One key step, using a password manager, is included in the weekly basics above.
- Enable Two Factor Authorization somewhere new, and/or ask for it from a vendor that doesn’t offer it. (more)
- Log in to financial accounts to check the transaction history. (more)
- Check for new breaches & scams. (more)
- Any paper to shred? (more)
- Continue to use unique, fake answers to “secret questions” for password resets. (more)
- Do a little self-stalking (more)
- A reminder to independently verify phone numbers, links and other contact information provided to you. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- Still processing the sale of GitHub to Microsoft.
- Public Goods 101: Khan Academy
- Handy reference when you change your GitHub password run “git config –global –unset user.password” in the command line. Mine was > than 3 years old!
- When you can’t go national, go local.
- I think I’m going to call my CA reps to see if we can’t get a law like Washington State, holding online media to the same standards as everyone else for political Ads.
- Keeping with the “Washington State is Awesome,” their Net Neutrality law kicked in today. We don’t have ours yet… call your Assembly Rep!
- While you have them on the phone… Vermont has privacy regulations on the docket that look like a good starting model, lets make sure it includes health data.
- Phrase of the day “Defensive Decentralization,” or why comfortable societies tend to end up vulnerable.
- If you ever swallow a button cell, start chowing on honey on your way to the hospital.
- The worst actors of top-level domains. Pretty much block *.man, *.click and *.work
- No, don’t put passwords in Trello, nor Evernote for that matter. Insist on data-at-rest encryption.
- Speaking of Hedy Lamarr… frequency hopping for the IoT win? (via SANs)
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
Update your Steam wishlists now for the Summer Sale starting June 21 @ 9:55 AM PT. I’d like to make a call out for pretty much anything by Amanita Design. I’ve loved them since their very first flash game in 2003.