Tuesday Sweep: 10 July 2018
Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 2, or “Identity,” proving that you’re really you and they’re really them.
I’ve got nothing pithy to say this week. I just can’t even. It’s letting my routines save me time, and weirdly, they do.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Wipe down your devices. Physically! <– NEW!
- Spend some time adding passwords to your password manager and updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you spend 10 minutes checking today? (more)
This Week’s Focus:
One key step, keeping a password manager up to date, is included in the weekly basics.
- Enable Two Factor Authorization somewhere new, and/or ask for it from a vendor that doesn’t offer it. (more)
- Log in to financial accounts to check the transaction history. (more)
- Check for new breaches & scams. (more) – https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a good place to start.
- Any paper to shred? (more)
- Continue to use unique, fake answers to “secret questions” for password resets. (more)
- Do a little self-stalking (more)
- A reminder to independently verify phone numbers, links and other contact information provided to you. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- In retro Tuesday Day thanks to @todbot:
- A break down of the dial-up tone, synced to audio
- a text based browser called browsh
- SuperCon Tickets are on sale
- A really good break down on how “treating everyone the same” and “fair” aren’t always the same thing.
- Wired list of 2018 breaches so far
- Clippy for classified documents. That couldn’t possibly go wrong!
- Image for this week via the Physics History twitter feed.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
Me? I’m shutting my computer for the next 12 hours. It’s gotta be done.