Folks who’ve ever worked on the backend of technology systems know that this week is no holiday, but the most productive time of the year. The best time to do all that updating and reconfiguring that would otherwise disrupt operations way too much. Take a lesson from that flurry of productivity and finally get on updating that one last RaspberryPi in the rafters monitoring the sound of raccoon paws skittering across the roof… now’s the time!
So even this week, back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (But no CRASH Space meeting…)
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- I highly recommend the coach tool at the Crash Override Network has a great step by step break down for many of the same introductory steps we did here. There’s a new one on the street: https://securityplanner.org Haven’t used it but it comes recommended by people I trust.
- Feeling more ambitious? Review the list of OneThing articles and pick one to catch up on.
- Updated software recently? Pick a new device to check on today.
- Backups still up and running? When was the last time you made a clean disk image? Here’s a new great article on how to design a backup system.
- App and Password Gardening: Delete a low quality app from your phone or delete an account that you don’t need that doesn’t make you happy. Digital cruft builds up. Delete it. If you’re keeping it, can you move the password to your password manager (delete it from everywhere else) and add two factor authentication?
- Move to offline archive & delete your histories where you can find them.
- Double check privacy settings on your phone, social media accounts. The folks running the companies can change the TOS and add “features” before you notice them.
- Have you frozen your credit yet?
Where do you scan for news?
- Let’s face it, a new IoT device likely snuck it’s way into your life in the past couple of weeks. So here is a repost of the 7 Steps To Mitigate IoT Threat.
- In the “check that lonely WordPress install” edition (via SANS Newsbites)
- Iced Tea company changes name to include reference to blockchain tech, stock price soars. LOL: “The move is reminiscent of the late 1990s, when companies could see their stock prices soar if they added “.com” to their names.”
- About the Microsoft v Google spat over the Chrome installer, also a good discussion of the Microsoft App ecosystems in general. (ArsTechnica)
- Congress Is Debating Mass Surveillance in the Dark (Wired) and putting biometrics into airports. Hopefully you have your reps on speed dial by now…
- Ideas for New Years in LA for free or for some cash… the best plan, though… The Steam Sale doesn’t end until Jan. 4th, just sayin.
- I have no link for the raccoon picture because all the wallpaper sites that have it seem super sketchy and I can’t in good conscious recommend that anyone go to them. If anyone tracks down the original photographer, I’ll update the post.
Feeling dumb or stupid about how not-l33t you are? Angsting over some silly thing you “know better than to do.” Stop. That isn’t useful. Regret is only of use if it prompts an actual change in behavior. Maybe it’s NOT you that sucks. Could be it’s the technology and you could come up with a fix that would help lots of people. Look forward and make a plan.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.