Tuesday Sweep: March 7 2017
Weekly Round Up
Where do you scan for news? I keep an eye out for recent exploits and breaches that have come to light, new tools, interesting idea’s, etc.
- Internet infrastructure is beautiful. (6 Part Documentary)
- The AMAZING volunteers at the SCalE 15 have already started putting videos up from this past weekend’s conference!
- For the best the redux scan Bruce Schneier’s round up on the Wikileaks CIA dump. He’s got all the high quality links.
- So I was too busy enjoying all the aforementioned presentations, so I did not get a Switch last weekend. Boo. So I am amusing myself with soldering tips for extending remote range and ideas for 3D printing accessories.
- Long read on WiFi
- Interesting contrarian piece of why DRM in the WC3 standards are potentially a good thing? I’m not convinced, but I appreciated the POV.
- Wanna learn about card skimmers? Krebs on security has 6 years of articles. Tug on everything!
- Have an OpenSource Project? There is now HackerOne Community Edition, a free service for essentially running a high quality Bug Bounty program. Don’t do security alone.
What’s are the frictions keeping you from doing “what’s right”? Regret is only useful if it leads to a plan on how to improve.
This list will be getting longer, but lets keep it simple while folks are still setting up.
- Updated software recently? Pick a new device to check on today.
- Backups still up and running? When was the last time you made a clean disk image? Here’s a new great article on how to design a backup system.
- Reduce your attack surface: Delete a low quality app from your phone. Delete an account.
- Add a password to your password manager… and delete it from everywhere else.
- Anywhere you could add two factor authentication?
- Double check privacy settings on your phone, social media accounts.
Continuing Set Up
We’ve covered so much so fast. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are. Pick something to do.
- If you’re having trouble with all the set up, the coach tool at the Crash Override Network has a great step by step break down for many of the same introductory steps we did here.
- Review the list of OneThing articles so far and pick one to catch up on.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Speak up
- Show up at CRASH Space tonight! (Or the Tech Solidarity Meetup)