Hands-On Radio Hacking
CRASH member Samy recently gave a talk at Defcon about car/radio hacking and would like to do a more hands-on version at CRASH Space.
WHEN: Friday, Sept 18 8:00 – 10:00pm
WHERE: CRASH Space
HOW MUCH: FREE!
Some topics we’ll go over and live demo as much as possible (legally, of course):
- low-cost hardware and open source software for radio exploration (RTL-SDR, HackRF, CC1111EMK, IM-ME, etc)
- sniffing and deciphering unknown radio signals
- reverse engineering hardware (using logic analyzers, determining unmarked chips, etc)
- wirelessly reverse engineering radio hardware (like cars and garages)
- methods to attack and exploit radio communication (like unlocking cars and garages)
- exploiting mobile device trust + exploiting mobile apps by performing SSL man-in-the-middle attacks, DNS spoofing, automated HTTPS injection/traffic manipulation
- security measures to consider for more secure designs in the future
Samy will demonstrate all attacks from start to finish, and encourages you to bring any of the following low-cost hardware and go through the entire process with him:
- $22 – RTL-SDR (hardware dongle for software defined radio, allows sniffing radio frequencies up to ~1.7GHz). This is a great buy and very powerful
- If you’re comfortable with Arduino and coding, this $9 CC1101 radio (sub-GHz RF transceiver) goes well with an Arduino or Teensy and is very potent /li>
- I would NOT suggest you buy this $75 CC1111EMK (basically the $9 chip above without a processor) because better/cheaper hardware is coming out soon, but we may use it for those who don’t want to build their own device (sub-GHz radio transceiver and MCU)/li>
- Bring a logic analyzer if easy to and you have one — while I prefer Saleae, there are much more inexpensive ones out there, and you can even turn your Arduino or Teensy into a low-speed logic analyzer/li>
Also, you’re welcome to bring:
- your own devices that sniff or emit radio (such as garage door openers, car keys, etc) and inspect them live! (It’s okay if you don’t want to, as Samy will bring a bunch of his own that you can hack.)
- snacks and drinks
- anything else you want, really
Hope to see you there!