Posted on September 23rd, 2015 by at0mbxmb • Filed under projects • No Comments
Laura Lopez, who has been running the monthly Intro to Bitcoin classes at CRASH Space (as well as a number of other bitcoin-related classes all over LA) recently went on a trip to SF to see how common the popular cryptocurrency is in the nerd capital of the US.
She made this awesome and hilarious video to show us all how it went. And if you like it, you can buy it with bitcoin!
Posted on September 14th, 2015 by at0mbxmb • Filed under projects • No Comments
Our donation box just got a serious upgrade:
Want to know how it’s made? Check out the detailed walk-through here!
Posted on September 14th, 2015 by matt • Filed under Events • 3 Comments
WHEN: Saturday, Sept 26th at 2:00PM
WHERE: CRASH Space (Directions here!)
HOW MUCH: FREE!
We’re inviting all of you robot enthusiasts here at CRASH Space for our first BYOBot event. BYOBot includes a robotics show and tell. Bring your own bots by, stay to see what others have built, and hear talks by professionals in the field!
PS: We have a very loose definition of robot, so feel free to bring whatever you have! We love all ages of participation and can’t wait to see what you have to bring.
2:00PM: BOT SHOW AND TELL
Show your bots (quick demos KEEP IT SAFE)
3:00PM INTROS (5-10min) : This is where you come in!
We’ve got a few people signed up to get things started, but we want to hear from YOU!
- Carbon Fiber Winder Robots
Kyle Cothern : Robotics and Mechanisms Lab at Virginia Tech, SpaceX, Hyperloop
- Biomimetic Robots, wave of the future, or just a shortcut for lazy design? Featuring Snake Bot
Justin Corwin: AI and embedded systems developer, cognitive scientist, control theorist, and President of CRASH Space
- Animated Heads!
4:00PM HANDS-ON BOT BUILDPARTY
- work on your own
- ask questions
- free form hacking on stuff
- form groups
- find collaborators
- ask questions
- make a mess
- clean up
Posted on September 11th, 2015 by at0mbxmb • Filed under Events • 4 Comments
CRASH member Samy recently gave a talk at Defcon about car/radio hacking and would like to do a more hands-on version at CRASH Space.
WHEN: Friday, Sept 18 8:00 – 10:00pm
WHERE: CRASH Space
HOW MUCH: FREE!
Some topics we’ll go over and live demo as much as possible (legally, of course):
- low-cost hardware and open source software for radio exploration (RTL-SDR, HackRF, CC1111EMK, IM-ME, etc)
- sniffing and deciphering unknown radio signals
- reverse engineering hardware (using logic analyzers, determining unmarked chips, etc)
- wirelessly reverse engineering radio hardware (like cars and garages)
- methods to attack and exploit radio communication (like unlocking cars and garages)
- exploiting mobile device trust + exploiting mobile apps by performing SSL man-in-the-middle attacks, DNS spoofing, automated HTTPS injection/traffic manipulation
- security measures to consider for more secure designs in the future
Samy will demonstrate all attacks from start to finish, and encourages you to bring any of the following low-cost hardware and go through the entire process with him:
- $22 – RTL-SDR (hardware dongle for software defined radio, allows sniffing radio frequencies up to ~1.7GHz). This is a great buy and very powerful
- If you’re comfortable with Arduino and coding, this $9 CC1101 radio (sub-GHz RF transceiver) goes well with an Arduino or Teensy and is very potent /li>
- I would NOT suggest you buy this $75 CC1111EMK (basically the $9 chip above without a processor) because better/cheaper hardware is coming out soon, but we may use it for those who don’t want to build their own device (sub-GHz radio transceiver and MCU)/li>
- Bring a logic analyzer if easy to and you have one — while I prefer Saleae, there are much more inexpensive ones out there, and you can even turn your Arduino or Teensy into a low-speed logic analyzer/li>
Also, you’re welcome to bring:
- your own devices that sniff or emit radio (such as garage door openers, car keys, etc) and inspect them live! (It’s okay if you don’t want to, as Samy will bring a bunch of his own that you can hack.)
- snacks and drinks
- anything else you want, really
Hope to see you there!
Posted on September 6th, 2015 by at0mbxmb • Filed under Events • No Comments
Come visit us, sip wine, and push magic buttons!