Tuesday Sweep: 29 May 2018
Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Welcome to a Fifth Tuesday of the month!
<rant>I am going to interrupt the regular spiel so we can all take a moment of silence for the hours we’ve lost to trouble shooting Calendar Issues in programing. OMG. It’s so dumb!!! If you ever need to figure out what all the Tuesdays are in a year, or how many Tuesdays are in each month, is today Tuesday, or if any old date is a Tuesday… well, thank goodness other people’s code have made that easier over the years, but yuck. Time. It just keeps on slipping. </rant>
The lack of regularity has made it a challenge to figure out what to have, if anything for a “Zone 5.” What, if anything, needs to be done at such strange intervals? My answer? Taking a break. Taking a break is what needs to happen erratic intervals. So just do the basics, and the couple of things mentioned in the learn section (RESET YOUR ROUTER) and enjoy a lighter week.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Put any straggling passwords/secure info into password manager, Spend some time updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus: Take a break
- Don’t need to do more than the basics this week… well do check the news below!
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- Check the list and see if you shouldn’t reset your router to its factory settings. More tips that we’ll go over next week.
- LA folks, call your city council people to register your thoughts on Minority Report movie becoming a real thing.
- Send secret messages with fonts!
- If you’re in the market for a new Android phone, try to get one that’s Google certified to avoid the spyware.
- From the other week, that 202 Newletter is paying off: These hackers warned Congress the internet was not secure. 20 years later, their message is the same.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
Sit back, and watch a movie! Hedy Lamarr, totally bad ass, hero… thanks Theron for letting us know about the documentary.